The Canadian Tulip Festival

The Canadian Tulip Festival was established to celebrate the historic Royal gift of tulips from the Dutch to Canadians immediately following the Second World War as a symbol of international friendship. The Festival preserves the memorable role of the Canadian troops in the liberation of the Netherlands and Europe, as well as commemorates the birth of Dutch Princess Margriet in Ottawa during World War II—the only royal personage ever born in Canada.

This festival is governed by a non-profit charitable organization Board of Directors Chaired by Mr. Grant Hooker.

The Canadian Tulip Festival has been celebrating the tulip, an international symbol of friendship and peace, since 1953. The first Canadian Tulip Festival was led by the Ottawa Board of Trade (now the Ottawa Chamber of Commerce), at the suggestion of world renowned photographer Malak Karsh.

OTTAWA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

Then known as the Ottawa Board of Trade when the Festival was founded, the present-day Ottawa Chamber of Commerce has enjoyed a prominent history in the Capital’s development as the Voice of Business in the City, representing over 700 companies and 27,000 employees from multiple industries for the past 160 years. Learn more about the Ottawa Chamber of Commerce at http://www.ottawachamber.ca/